Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Who is Rachel James?

Over the years I have worked with many musicians and over those years I always told myself that if I found one that was appreciative and business minded that I would manage that artist.  Many artists quickly develop this ego that separates them from their fans once faced with the pressures of performance.  Rachel James stood out to me in the very beginning as I listened to her speak about her music and the importance of family.  Her music is so emotionally intelligent and the melodies so fantastic that I couldn't help listening over and over.

I invited her to lunch and we hit it off, talking about family and friends.  Her energy was calming and yet determined all at the same time.  I knew this woman had the tenacity and strength of character to succeed in a failing music industry and working with her this past year has shown be a few key things about human character and ethics.  

Rachel has always gone out of her way to make everyone she comes in contact with feel like they are important.  She has a knack for putting a smile on people's faces with her ad-lib humor and facial expressions, believe it or not, reminiscent of Cory Taylor's goof ball persona.  Here's just a candid snapshot we took during one of her photoshoots.  
One of Rachel's biggest strengths is her songwriting.  She has been asked to participate in numerous projects partly because she has been blessed with a natural ability to arrange melodies and lyrics together in catchy tunes.  Every song could be a hot with the right marketing behind her.  

Rachel James was raised in a family of 4 children of which she is the eldest.  Her fascination with music started at a young age as she took up voice and piano at 6 years old.  Music has held her as a muse since she was 5 years old learning piano and voice at the onslaught of her tutelage.   She found her voice and that drive sustained her passions through the tumultuous teen years.  Always ready to perform Rachel was asked to join Tiffany Vartanyan on the Acquire the Fire tour during her freshman year in college.   As a Colorado Native her roots kept her close to home for college as CSU saw her graduate with a BA in Journalism.   It wasn’t long before music came courting again. 
The last two years she has performed to thousands, written hundreds of songs, played festivals such as VANSWarped Tour and SXSW gigging with musicians like Sherwood, Dillinger Escape Plan and the Pretty Reckless.  Currently she is shopping for label representation and will entertain all offers within reason.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for introducing me to Rachel James. After reading this post I did some more digging on my own and I would agree she is a talent worth watching. Being in a band myself I am familiar with how musicians walk on the wrong side of the line when it comes to ego. The bands I like playing with the most are the ones that love music and are more interested in promoting good music and supporting musicians rather than the typical rockstar mentality. It seems Rachel James has her head screwed on and writes great tunes to boot. I bet she seems more like a friend than a client. From what I can tell she just seems to be a very genuine person and artist. I will for sure be promoting her on my end. Artists like this need to be lifted up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel has a beautiful voice. I love that she is a songwriter as well. I've noticed that artist who write their own material are much better at capturing the emotion when performing the songs. I guess that kind of goes without saying though, since it's usually their own feelings and lives they are singing about. But still it helps you connect and you feel like you know just a little bit more about that particular artist. One of my favorite singer/songwriters is Teedra Moses. Good luck to you and Rachel!! Wish you the best and much success :)

    ReplyDelete